After several years and many kilometres Steve’s favourite touring helmet, an OGK Aeroblade II was looking worse for wear. So after a full day of checking out the local shops and trying on heaps of helmets a decision was finally made. A new Kabuto (previously OGK) Aeroblade 3 Maverick White/Red was purchased.
This is what Steve had to say:
The Aeroblade 3 is a great improvement from my previous Aeroblade II. I was always happy with my previous lid, but after four trips across the Nullarbor, and 80,000 kilometres, it was well past the time to change.
I took the new helmet for its first ride today, we did a favourite loop of 200 kms. Heading east from our house soon puts you on some quiet back roads where you can make your way to the Darling Range for some twisties. A coffee stop at the Blue Wren Cafe, Dwellingup, a great bikers joint. Then back down the range to Waroona, along the flats to the Harvey Estuary and lunch stop at the Bouvard Tavern. Then back home along the coast. A tough way to spend your day!
So what about the helmet:
- Just as good a fit and comfort as the old OGK (obviously depends on the shape of your head).
- The helmet is very light (very noticeable when turning head). It seemed to be one of the lightest available.
- Seems like very good aerodynamics, very little buffeting riding the Red Dwarf (R1200GS, so an upright seating position).
- Great ventilation, never before had a helmet where I could feel the air over the top of my head.
- Very quiet (more so when vents shut).
I think the new Aerobalde 3 is a vast improvement on an already good helmet. It’s lighter, quieter, better ventilated and with improved aerodynamics. I’m very happy with the purchase, so if you’re in the market for a new lid, check out the Kabuto Aeroblade 3.